Re: [xmca] [ISCAR-ANNOUNCE] Sydney-2014 ISCAR Congress Website now open!

andy, I sense another question behind this question?
I was amplifying Jussi silvonen's use of this concept *break* as an
expression of a *sense* of living THROUGH *epochs* or *eras*. Andy, is your
question questioning *breaks* also questioning the concept of *epochs* or
*eras* as a way of expressing and experiencing time-consciousness? I am
willing to suggest that *breaks* cannot be  confirmed as distinct and the
expression is more rhetorical and narrative. However does this recognition
disqualify it as a concept that makes *sense*?

Andy,

I will bring  Gadamer's perspective on *epochs* into this discussion.
He wrote,

"When a new epoch dawns, one properly takes leave of the old. That is not
forgetting but rather COGNITION. For cognition always occurs in departure.
In departing the old is so separated from the indefinite moments of
expectation which had bound our existence to it as we were engaged and
projected toward the future, that it now first begins to rest completely in
itself. "

David Vessey, commenting further on this theme of *epochs* adds this
comment;

"We recognize time through recognizing our lives as not only temporal but
temporal in a particular way: epochal. The transitions from epoch to epoch
get their temporal importance not from being a JUNCTURE between what was
and what will be, a purely formal idea and characteristic of *empty* time,
but from the awareness of the dissolution of what was before in the advent
of what is new. The consciousness of time arises with the consciousness of
something that was the case having become no longer so."
[David Vessey: Gadamer's hermeneutic contribution to a theory of
time-consciousness]

Andy, the term *break* which Jussi uses in his article may be implying a
clear and distinct *juncture* between what was and what will be. However,
I read Jussi's central point as exploring a notion of Vygotsky's
theoretical development as moving THROUGH cognitive *epochs* or *eras*.

*Epochs* may not have a scientific *foundation* but are there other
foundations implicated in time-consciousness?