RE: [xmca] Is College Moving Online? : The New Yorker

What is ironic beyond belief is that this Mr. Frog's Wild Ride of MOOCs and kooks is being led by our supposed "great universities."  Perhaps this is the logical outcome of hubris gone insane.  One is left to wonder if Socrates' students could have convinced him not to drink hemlock if they could have arranged a meeting with an investment banker, a couple of million up front, and the real possibility of an IPO, thus changing Western civilization forever.

From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Andy Blunden [ablunden@mira.net]
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 11:16 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Is College Moving Online? : The New Yorker

There seems to be a determined drive to get teachers and teaching out of
the education system doesn't there?
I was going to ironically remark that it would be easier just to sell
library cards to people, then I realised that libraries are also
disappearing and in any case the students are too busy in the jobs to
visit the library and everything's on line anyway. It seems that we are
moving inevitably towards issuing certificates on the basis of
satisfactory scores on multiple-choice test cards on the college web
site, and giving up all pretence of being involved in education. Sad.

Andy

David Preiss wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Relevant as related to the email Mike recently sent:
>
> http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/05/20/130520fa_fact_heller?currentPage=all
>
> DP
>

> David Preiss, Ph.D.
> Director
> Escuela de Psicología
> Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
> Av Vicuña Mackenna - 4860
> 7820436 Macul
> Santiago, Chile
>
> Fono: (562) 3544605