Re: [xmca] perezhivanie als Erlebnis

Extremely helpful -- thank you! -- I am getting some things from the list
to read now, if anyone else does too and wants to discuss do let me know --
Beth

2013/4/24 Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>

> This is fantastic!
> Thanks,
> greg
>

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya@yahoo.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Several points in response to the issue of perezhivanie as direct
> > translation of German Erlebnis
> >
> > in Vygotsky's texts and the possible origin of this
> > trans-national/-cultural scientific transfer.
> >

> > Zero. We still have no evidence that Vygotsky directly associated his
> > perezhivanie with Erlebnis.
> >
> > Well, it would be utterly strange if he did not, but -- textual evidence
> > is not there yet.
> >
> > The only thing I would trust as a 100% proof would be a text by Vygotsky
> > with a phrase
> >
> > "perezhivanie (Erlebniss)" or, in reverse order "Erlebnis
> (perezhivanie)".
> > Yet, such evidence is not
> >
> > there yet, therefore, all this is mere speculation. Let's call it a
> > hypothesis.
> >

> > First. As to Erlebnis, the word was pretty popular in psychological
> > discourse back then
> > (i.e. during the first third of 20th century), so that I would speculate
> > that nobody would be
> >
> > terribly surprised to hear that psychology is a science of Erlebnis. This
> > is exactly what Vygotskii
> >
> > said when he finally realized that neither 'reflex', nor 'stimulus' and
> > 'reaction', nor even 'sign'
> >
> > works as an object of psychological research.
> >

> > Second. Having some data to support such claims as the one above does not
> > hurt.
> >
> > So, in order to have such data, a very tentative and superficial research
> > has been done.
> >
> > Murchison's book Psychological Register of 1930 was searched for word
> > "Erlebnis",
> >
> > which showed only the occurrences of the word in the titles of
> > publications of that period.
> >
> > The source is freely available online, here:
> > http://archive.org/details/psychologicalreg031671mbp
> >
> > Thus, according to the search, there are several dozen publications that
> > directly deal with
> >
> > Erlebnis as it is reflected in their titles. Geographic distribution:
> many
> > occurrences in Germany,
> >
> > however, other countries are:
> >
> > America, Austria, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Denmark & Iceland, Estonia,
> > Finland,
> > France & Algeria, and Hungary.
> >

> > Speaking of the source of potential influence on Vygotskii, all the usual
> > suspects are here.
> >
> > The list includes Koffka, the Buehlers, Freud, Busemann, Eliasberg,
> > Krueger, Lipmann,
> > Stern W.,  and many others. I personally like not the author who
> > necessarily influenced Vygotskii,
> >
> > although the titles look really cute and pretty much "vygotskian", to my
> > taste:
> >
> > *  Erlebnisanalyse und Sprachwissenschaft (hey, the guy seem to know how
> [...]

Beth Ferholt
Assistant Professor
School of Education
Brooklyn College, City University of New York
2900 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11210-2889

Email: bferholt@brooklyn.cuny.edu
Phone: (718) 951-5205