From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Martin Packer
Sent: 24. huhtikuuta 2013 6:07
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and Dilthey? Perzhivanie and Erlebnis?

Vygotsky certain;y knew about Dilthey. But he wasn't a huge fan:

"It was specifically the fear of materialistic conceptions of natural scientific psychology penetrating into the social sciences that pushed Dilthey and other authors toward the idea of dividing psychology into two "separate sciences." Dilthey wrote that "integration into the natural sciences" gives psychology the "character of a refined materialism. This psychology is not a sure foundation, but a danger for the jurist or the historian of literature. Every subsequent development has shown what a disintegrating role this hidden materialism of Spencerian explanatory psychology has played in the economic and political sciences and in criminal law" (Dilthey, 1924, p. 30)."

Vygotsky, L. S. (2012). The science of psychology. Journal of Russian and East European Psychology, 50(4), 85-106.

Martin