Re: [xmca] "semiotic/semantic [semicheskyj] analysis" (timeo Vygotskii et dona ferentem)

It is absolutely impossible to disagree with Rauno's comment. Indeed, the "semicheskii analiz" of Vygotskii

is one of those programmatic statements, quite characteristic of this person, who, inter alia, would repeatedly claim that

QUOTE

The new society will create the new man.
When one mentions the remolding of man as an indisputable trait of the new mankind and
the artificial creation of a new biological type,
then this will be the only and first species in biology which will create itself...

http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/crisis/psycri14.htm

END of QUOTE

Indeed, such--and similar utopian and programmatic, yet thoroughly and hopelessly scientifically ungrounded--
Vygotskii's statements are not to be taken for granted.

So, regardless of whether we agree or disagree (i.e., fully agree? mainly agree? partially agree?
disagree on most points? fundamentally disagree in virtually any respect?) with Vygotskii,
the really meaningful question,

I believe, is what exactly, *ACCORDING to VYGOTSKII*, is the
"Semiotic [and/or "semantic" = semicheskyj] analysis" that, yet again according to this guy,
"is the only adequate method for the study of the systemic and semantic structure of consciousness."

And, more specifically, how exactly did ipse Vygotskii perform this kind of analysis?

The answer, I guess, is as follows:
Vygotskii DID NOT KNOW how exactly perform this "the only" analysis, and in this respect
he did not go much further his usual programmatic, but pretty void from scholarly standpoint statements.

So, if we dismiss the numerous "Vygotskian", including Wertsch's,
interpretations of the Master's Teaching as irrelevant to our main question here, --
on the excellent criticism of the "Vygotskians" see Miller's "Vygotsky in perspective"
http://upbo.com/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9781107412477&ss=fro --

then the three points made here previously are very much worth considering:

1. Nobody (even ipse Vygotsky!) has invented a method which reveals the structures of consciousness.
2. The very concept of consciousness is ... empirically ... problematic.
3. There is no single method that would reveal the secrets of consciousness.

Good luck with the search for meaning anyway! Perhaps, some Gestaltists' work will help?
If interested feel free to check the link: http://psyhistorik.livejournal.com/80047.html --
most stuff in Russian, but some references in English are certainly of help.
Also, you might want to explore how those Russian guys attempted to do the
"semicheskii analiz" to the extent they understood this idea roughly in mid-1930s.
But in order to do this, one needs to be able to read Russian, too. Yet again,
see the entry, it might help: http://psyhistorik.livejournal.com/80047.html

Good luck again! ;)

AY