Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

Hi Carla,

We still use this word in parts of the American South.
Although it is listed as the 4th meaning in the *American Heritage *
dictionary.
com·mode  (k-md)
*n.*
*1. * A low cabinet or chest of drawers, often elaborately decorated and
usually standing on legs or short feet.
*2. *
*a. * A movable stand or cupboard containing a washbowl.
*b. * A chair enclosing a chamber pot.
*c. * A toilet.
*3. * A woman's ornate headdress, fashionable around 1700.
------------------------------
[French, from commode, *convenient*, from Latin commodus; see * commodious*
.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009.
Published by Houghton
Mifflin Company <http://www.eref-trade.hmco.com/>. All rights reserved.

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 1:02 AM, <carolmacdon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible that this is simply "common" understanding which is
> negotiated again and again and is subject to change over long periods like
> the work "toilet" which has changed time and again over the period of
> centuries.
>
> Carol
> Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Associate Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-0355
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.