Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

Andy --

Actually, I'm not sure what "societal meaning" is, or even if it's not a
misuse of the post-fix (like prefix?) "-al" to make up a new word. But I
took it from the quote from Manfred.

"Meaning" -- sure, I can agree that meaning implies interpretation. Then
does "societal" mean "the meaning to a society" -- in the sense of what
role a bank plays in a society?  And I guess that in one sense that role
is established by regulations and laws.

Which are pretty contested right now in the US, right? I see they're
putting the heat on some top players in the financial industry these days.

Helena