Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

Carol and Helena (and Martin?),
This reminds me of Dewey and his notion of divided vs. undivided interest.
With divided interest, the person stands at a distance from the activity
and the person must continually put "effort" into the task. Undivided
interest is the result of “the annihilation of the distance between the
person and the materials and the results of his action” (Dewey 1913:17).
The result of this annihilation is that “the effort entirely vanishes”
(Dewey 1897:55). As we sometimes say, the person becomes "consumed" by the
activity (cf. Czikzentmihalyi's notion of Flow).
[And as I'm writing this, I'm struck by the parallels to Marx's notion of
alienated labor. Alienated labor ~ divided interest.].

And here is James describing roughly the same phenomena:
"In the mountains, in youth, on some intoxicating autumn morning, after
invigorating slumber, we feel strong enough to jump over the moon, and
casting about us for a barrier, a rock, a tree, or any object on which to
measure our bodily prowess, we perform with perfect spontaneity feats which
at another time might demand an almost impossible exertion of muscle and
will. (James 1880:21)"

[note there are some important questions about identity here that James
doesn't ask such as: why "youth"? (and do women feel this same impulse? Why
or why not?) As well as what is it about the setting (and the cultural
meanings attached to this "intoxicating" setting) that provokes this kind
of response? But it nonetheless seems to nicely describe one possible
moment of undivided interest that seems to reduce the need for effort.].

Anyway, I'm enjoying lurking in the conversation!

-greg

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology