Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

I thought that what he said was avoiding it: back up your exclamation Martin
Carol

On 23 March 2013 16:48, Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:

> I though you wanted to *avoid* metaphysics, Andy!
>
> Martin
>
> On Mar 22, 2013, at 8:17 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
>
> > Thank you Manfred for that clear explanation, and for correcting my
> typing mistake! :(
> > This might be an occasion to mention how my own development of Activity
> Theory differs from yours and that of ANL.
> > I do not work with duality of "the publically assigned meaning and the
> personally felt sense". Rather I use Hegel's approach in which the
> Individual and Universal are mediated by the Particular. This is a relation
> which is applicable not just to motives, but any concept. It allows the
> meaning of the situation to be something which is *realised*. This word
> "realised" is what Wiulliam James would have described as a
> "double-barrelled word" (following Charles Dickens' "double barrelled
> compliment), in that it means both "realised" in the objective sense of
> "made real", as in "The plan was at last realised when the judge delivered
> his verdict," and subjective in the sense of "woke up to", as in "I
> realised that my efforts to reconcile with my wife were doomed to failure."
> I believe that this resolves certain problems which arise in Actvity
> Theory, but remaining within the Activity approach as outlined in your
> excellent paper.
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > Holodynski, Manfred wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear colleagues,
> >>
> >> thank you very much for all your valued comments on my article. There
> are a lot of aspects already discussed and I have some difficulties to
> follow all lines of argumentation. Therefore, I would like to answer to the
> following:
> >>
> >> 1. Emotions as psychological function within the macrostructure of
> activity.
> >>
> >> As Andy claims it I get my Activity Theory from AN Leont'ev and I
> focused especially on his concept of macrostructure of activity and its
> levels of activity that is related to motives, actions that are related to
> goals and operations that are related to the conditions under which an
> action is given. And Andy gets precisely to the heart of it when he stated
> that my article needs to be read with attention to motivation and how the
> macrostructure of an activity is related to the motives and goals of an
> individual. One activity can be realized by different actions, and one
> action can realize different activities.
> >>
> >> May I quote Andy's words:
> >>
> >> " Because motives are not given to immediate perception; they have to
> be inferred/learnt. Emotional expression and experience signal the success,
> failure, frustration, expectation, etc. of goals and motives for both
> participant/observers and the individual subject themself, emotion is tied
> up with motives and goals and therefore with the structure of an activity.
> One and the same action could be part of different “”actions activities (!)
> [...]

Carol A  Macdonald Ph D (Edin)
Developmental psycholinguist: EMBED
Academic, Researcher, Writer and Editor
Honorary Research Fellow: Department of Linguistics, Unisa