Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

Andy

I think that beliefs can exist separately from intentions, but that
intentions are necessary  for belief-based action and that intentions may
not be realized, and that some actiosmay not be belief-based (for example,
as reactive).

I realise that I have introduced a third "concept" here, but is needed for
explication of the relationship.

Carol

On 20 March 2013 06:11, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Martin
> Thanks for this clarification.
> Your mentioning that intentions as action and intentions as mental states
> must be kept distinct invites further inquiry.
> If mental states as a belief are culturally specific ways of understanding
> action then *mental states* as a concept must exist as artefacts.
> This notion of *mental states* therefore must have emerged in a particular
> historical epoch.
> By tracing the historical emergence of the belief in *mental
> states* showing how this notion has developed we possibly could become
> clearer on how our own ethnotheory assumes the existence of mental
> states as natural.
> Do you know of any authors or books which have traced the history of the
> development of *mental states* as a *folk* psychology?
>
> Martin, my understanding of the point you are making is that expression
> signs and gestures AS actions are central to development, but the move to
> *mental states* can be questioned as a particular cultural
> historical model of beliefs.
>
> Larry
>

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
>
> > I need a little clarification too, Martin.
> >
> >    * What do you mean specifically by "when the infant acts
> intelligently"?
> >    * The other thing that comes to mind is this. Manfred has been quite
> >      specific in developing his approach to emotions within Activity
> >      Theory, so we need to interrogate his paper in that context,
> >      rather than in the context of internal states of the mind.
> >
> > and can we remember to cc Manfred?
> > Andy
> >
> > Martin Packer wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Helen,
> >>
> >> Yes, of course. Rather than try to define them, at least at first, let
> me
> >> try to illustrate them:
> >>
> >> Let's say you see me fumbling with the window handle. There are the
> >> following ways of understanding my action:
> >>
> >> 1. I'm opening the window - intention in action
> >>
> >> 2. I'm planning to get some fresh air - prior intention
> >>
> >> 3. I believe that it is colder outside than in, and I desire that this
> >> colder air enter the room - mental states of belief and desire
> >>
> >> You can see that these are not mutually exclusive; indeed each seems to
> >> be in some sense a deeper understanding than the previous one. This
> already
> >> seems to suggest that in ontogenesis a child is likely to move from 1
> to 2
> >> to 3. But it's not the case that all three are always necessary, because
> >> there are actions that have an intention in action and no prior
> intention,
> >> and others that have a prior intention but no beliefs and desires.
> >> An example of the first: I can get up and pace around the room without
> >> forming any prior intention to do so. An example of the second: I can
> plan
> [...]

Carol A  Macdonald Ph D (Edin)
Developmental psycholinguist: EMBED
Academic, Researcher, Writer and Editor
Honorary Research Fellow: Department of Linguistics, Unisa