Re: [xmca] Perezhivanie and Dewey's concept of experience

Larry,

Yes, we have various riffs here on the notion generally attributed to Brentano - that experience is "intentional," not in the sense of being deliberate but that it is "directed" to the world. Consciousness is always 'consciousness of...'

When Vygotsky writes of the importance of experience within the social situation of development he is presumably drawing on Kurt Lewin. In 1937 Lewin wrote an obituary for Carl Stumpf, who had been his dissertation advisor, describing the latter's debt to Brentano and his influence on Husserl.

My reading of Husserl is different from yours. Perhaps more important is that Shpet's interpretation (quite creative, in my view!) of Husserl, in his Appearance and Sense, was very much along the lines you describe - that consciousness reaches out to grasp the empirically given individual thing and penetrate it. Each object “forces us to cognize it just as it is and not otherwise, i.e., to recognize only the being actually peculiar to it and not another." Published around 1917, before Vygotsky attended Shpet’s seminars. Shpet was proposing ways to avoid subject-object dualism.

As for Sergei Rubinstein, I would be happy to learn more about his work. A little googling discloses that he too studied in Germany, with Paul Natorp, who is considered another important influence on Husserl. In his "Consciousness in the light of dialectical materialism" (1946) Rubinstein argues against idealist approaches to consciousness, and proposes that consciousness is concrete, practical and social. But he doesn't get much further than quoting Marx and Lenin. Though he ends by quoting Aristotle!  :)

Martin