Re: [xmca] Perezhivanie and Dewey's concept of experience

Yes, all along I meant Josef Breuer. Apologies. In the Freud document the forename is not mentioned and I made an error in settling upon "Jakob". Thank you for clarifying that and establishing the connection via Bernays! I agree with you then, that there are two "very different meanings" and that Vygotsky did not follow Freud in his meaning. However, I still think there is merit in reflecting on both these destinies of the original ancient Greek concept. I think it is not necessary to accept the Freudian ontology of mind or the Freudian practice of psychoanalysis to see the importance of catharsis in "working over" perezhivanie. But I accept that this was no part of Vygotsky's approach. As you say in the second message, one would suppose that Vygotsky has read Freud from beginning to end, but without documentary evidence of his commentary on Freud's use of "catharsis" such a supposition is meaningless.

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
Andy,

Are you talking about Eugen Bleuler, or Josef Breuer, or Jakob Bleuer? Your most recent email mentions the second, while your earlier email mentioned the third, who seems not to have been connected to Freud, so I took you to be referring to the first, also a colleague of Freud. It was with Breuer, however, that Freud developed what came to be known as the cathartic method. This name, apparently, was given it by the uncle of Martha Freud, Jacob Bernays, who had written a treatise on Aristotle. However, LSV spends a lot of time in Psychology of Art criticizing Freud, so there's little reason to think he accepted the Freudian account of catharsis. Far from making a "connection between the usual Feudian meaning of catharsis, and the aesthetic process which was central for the young Vygotsky" I'm trying to suggest that the two meant very different things by catharsis. For Freud it was a process of recovering repressed emotions and so resolving conflict. For Vygotsky it was a process of inspiring conflicting emotions in such a manner that their resolution required a transformation that one could call existential.
Martin