Re: [xmca] Perezhivanie and Dewey's concept of experience

What about this one Larry?

       ‘Experience’ is what James called a double-barreled word. Like
       its congeners, life and history, it includes /what/ men do and
       suffer, /what/ they strive for, love, believe and endure, and
       /how/ men act and are acted upon, the ways in which they do and
       suffer, desire and enjoy, see, believe, imagine – in short,
       processes of /experiencing/. ... It is ‘double-barreled’ in that
       it recognizes in its primary integrity no division between act
       and material, subject and object, but contains them both in an
       unanalyzed totality. ‘Thing’ and ‘thought’, as James says in the
       same connection, are single-barreled; they refer to products
       discriminated by reflection out of primary experience (1929 PJD:
       256-7).

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
Mike,

On page 12 of the  article on Dewey's notionotion of experience the theme
of experience AS
"life overcomes and transforms factors of opposition to achieve higher
significance. Harmony and equilibrium are the resullts not of mechanical
processes but of RHYTHMIC resolution of tension.  The rhythmic ALTERNATION
within the live creature BETWEEN unity and disunity becomes CONSCIOUS in
humans.  Emotion signifies BREAKS in experience which are then resolved
through reflective action"

I thought this may be a way in to *start* the conversational dialogue  with
perezhivanie.

Larry