Re: [xmca] Events: Assistance requested

Mike,

Seems like events are some kind of meaningful conglomeration of social acts
(where the whole of meaning is greater than the sum of the acting parts, of
course).

A more theory-ish way to get into this is that Adam Moore paper "The
eventfulness of social reproduction". It engages deeply with the social
science-y question of when a happening becomes an "event" - and in the
process questions what others (esp. William Sewell and Marshall Sahlins)
have had to say about what makes an "event". In particular Moore suggests
that one should not just consider revolutionary moments but should also
consider reproductive moments to be events in need of analysis.

But that seems to have less to do with "event planning" - other than to
raise the question: what makes it an "event"? Certainly an important
question for historians and event planners alike.

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to help them to understand
the ritual constituents of an event and how these can be marshalled to make
a more or less effective event. Semiosis and ritual are key and Goffman is
a good place to turn. He does have a nice lecture on The Lecture - in Forms
of Talk - where he decomposes the elements of The Lecture and why it
succeeds, or fails, as a ritual.

Maybe a chapter or two from Durkheim's Elementary forms? That would at
least get you to the starting point of developing a mood of collective
effervescence. Always a good place to start when trying to get an event off
the ground!

Randall Collins would be the other person to consider. His book Interaction
Ritual Chains is all about ritual events in the here and now. These are
mostly spontaneous events so there isn't much "planning" involved, but the
analyses definitely capture the ritual sense of events that come off well
or not.

Be interested to hear where it all goes with the class.
-greg

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology