Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and Gordon Craig's Hamlet

David,

I have this, though it doesn't seem to make sense, from:

Vygodskaia, G. I., & Lifanoya, T. M. (1999). Lev Semonovich Vygotsky. Journal of Russian and East European Psychology, 37(3), Whole number.

"Lev Semen6vich developed an interest in the theater early, back in his high-school years; he would try never to miss a play by a local group or a visiting theater group. In Moscow the student art group became his favorite theater, and he would visit it often with pleasure. In fact, such plays as Malen 'kie tragedii, Brat 'ia Karamazovy, Nikolai Stavrogin were events in Moscow's theater life. Hamlet was staged by Gordon Craig, the English director, in this theater in 1916, when Lev Semenovich was still a university student. The staging was original: there was no set: the play was performed on a bare stage. This made it possible to concentrate the spectators' attention on the actors and their performance. The role of Hamlet was played by v.I. Kachelov. This play was, of course, espe- cially interesting to Lev Semenovich." (p. 34)

Martin