[xmca] CFP: Values in Medicine, Science, and Technology Conference // Theme: Values in the Science and Practice of Medicine

Announcing the 3rd Annual

Values in Medicine, Science, and Technology Conference

May 22-24, 2013
At the Center for Values in Medicine, Science, and Technology
The University of Texas at Dallas

Keynote Speakers:

   * Kristen Intemann, Montana State University
   * Adrienne Asch, Yeshiva University

Science, technology, and medicine unquestionably have a major impact on our lives. We live with constant technological innovation and scientific discovery, and this changes the conditions that we live in and the way we understand ourselves and the world we live in. Science, technology, and medicine are thus entangled with our values, our culture, and our politics, and they have an important impact on policymaking and action.

We invite proposals for papers that engage with these issues from a variety of disciplinary and theoretical approaches, including philosophy of science, technology, and medicine, epistemology, ethics and political philosophy, history, science and technology studies, policy studies, and natural and social sciences. We will consider proposals for individual papers, but also thematic panel sessions and more informal formats. Please feel free to contact us early to discuss potential panel formats at values@utdallas.edu

We are especially interested and will give preference to proposals that fit this year's target theme: Values in the Science and Practice of Medicine. Suggested topics include:

   * Values in Medical Institutions and Organizations
   * Biases in Medical Research
   * Harms and Benefits of Medical Patents
   * Critiques and Proposals for Evidence-Based Medicine Standards
   * Sex and Gender in Medical Research or Practice
   * Compassion and Profit in Healthcare
   * Healthcare Justice
   * The Value of Primary Care
   * Problems of Medicalization
   * Theorizing Disability and Disease

For contributed papers, please submit a 250-500 word abstract. For symposia and other multi-participant panels, submit an abstract up to 250 words describing the panel and descriptions of up to 100 words describing each participant’s contribution.

Conference Information Website:
http://www.utdallas.edu/c4v/2013-conference-values-in-science/

Submit proposals at: http://tinyurl.com/ScienceValues2013

Send any questions to: values@utdallas.edu

Submissions are due February 20

The Center for Values will also organize a one day workshop prior to the conference on the Appraisal and Creation of Ethics Codes for Science. Details to be announced on our website soon. Workshop participants are encouraged to participate in the conference and vice versa.

The Center for Values in Medicine, Science, and Technology is fully committed to fairness and to enabling scholars to participate in this meeting. If you have a disability and require accommodations in order to fully participate, or if you have ideas for how we can increase the accessability of our meeting, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Please feel free to forward this message.

--
Matthew J. Brown
Director, Center for Values in Medicine, Science, and Technology