Re: [xmca] Hallucinating Romantic Science

Yes, I think you'd like Shweder's piece that Mike refers to (while slightly
misquoting the title - it begins "Anthropology's Romantic Rebellion Against
the Enlightenment..." and can be found in a 1984 book Culture Theory:
Essays on Mind, Self, and Emotion - sorry I have the book but no pdf).
There Shweder makes reference to a Romantic lineage of Anthropology (not
clear that it is Shweder's). Here is the passage, something of a repeat of
some earlier posts about RS:

"On the other side of the dispute over rationality stand the spokesmen of
the "romantic" rebellion against the enlightenment: Goethe, Schiller,
Schleiermacker; before them, the Sophists, Hume and Leibnitz; after them,
Levy-Bruhl, the later Wittgenstein, Whorf, Kuhn, Schneider, Sahlins,
Feyerabend, and Geertz.  A central tenet of the romanticist view holds that
ideas and practices have their foundation in neither logic nor empirical
science, that ideas and practices fall beyond the scope of deductive and
inductive reason, that ideas and practices are neither rational nor
irrational but rather nonrational" (p. 28).

And as to linking to and denying ancestors, some might call Freud into the
conversation - something about the ambivalences of Oedipal desires. But
that would be silly.*

-greg

*To help you complete the circle here, I should note that my dissertation
chair was a Freudian psychoanalyst!