[xmca] Re: A Failure of Communication

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> You seem to be an inveterate lurker, Robert. It would be good to hear your
> voice somewhat more frequently in the discussions on xmca.
>
> Andy
>
> Hi Andy,
I will try to honor your requests. I am presently finishing 3 book projects
for which I been a co-editor and contributor and teaching a full load :-).

Btw, speaking of connections between Dewey and Hegel,  has anyone had a
look at the book that is reviewed  here in this link?

http://lnx.journalofpragmatism.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/shook-good-deweys-philosophy-of-spirit.pdf

Robert Lake

Robert

> Robert Lake wrote:
>
>> Hi and thanks for asking
>> RL
>>
>> For Dewey, *Mind is primarily a verb *(Dewey, 1934, p. 274).
>>
>> Dewey, J. (1934). *Art as experience*. New York: Capricorn.
>>

>> Of course this notion comes straight out of Hegel who wrote that  "mind is
>> only what it does, and its act is to make itself the object of its
>> own consciousness" .*Philosophy of Right*,
>> §<http://www.marxists.org/**reference/archive/hegel/works/**
>> pr/prstate.htm#PR343<http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/pr/prstate.htm#PR343>
>> >
>>  343, 216.
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM, vwilk <vwilk@inf.shizuoka.ac.jp> wrote:
>>

>>> If the Ur-Act, the basic, elementary act of human (intellectual) life
>>> relevant to concepts.
>>>
>>> For all the stars of present-day continental philosophy is:
>>> pidgeon-holing.
>>> and the concrete answer given by Hegel, Vygotsky, Activity Theory, Thomas
>>> Kuhn
>>> and Andy is: problem-solving.
>>>
>>> What is the concrete path of development that goes through Dewey?

> --
> ------------
> *Andy Blunden*
> Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/
> Book: http://www.brill.nl/concepts
> http://ucsd.academia.edu/**AndyBlunden<http://ucsd.academia.edu/AndyBlunden>

--
*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Associate Professor

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.