 From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Monday, 19 November 2012, 3:11:21
Subject: Re: Fwd: [xmca] A Failure of Communication

Just to clarify one point, Larry: the point about fuzzy boundaries getting more fuzzy with increased expertise.

As people get to be more "expert" with a particular concept, they tend to have a deeper grasp of it as a true concept (rather than a pseudoconcept), and in addition to this, with experience, what was initially a true but abstract concept, becomes a mature concept, sublating numerous processes of realisation the true concept has undergone in various situations. As a mature concept, multiple paths of development are sublated into it.

Such a mature, true concept does not have clear boundaries. That is not a fact of psychology, but is in the nature of concepts themselves. Boundaries are features of set-theoretic realisations of a concept in various circumstances. In my example about being on the jury in a murder case, in every such trial (the judge has gone through many such experiences) there are different circumstances in which the judgment has to be realised as a yes/no verdict. This is where the boundaries are made and every time a judgment is made they get fuzzier. Any person experienced with use of a concept knows this through experience. A novice, on the other hand, may naively believe that murder (for example) is a cut-and-dry question. It isn't.

For real concepts, boundaries are peripheral questions, and therefore always tricky.

Andy