Re: Fwd: [xmca] A Failure of Communication

Larry, since I have already confessed to having composed my answer to your mail before having read it, let me please make amends now.

"Ideal-typical paths of development" is not difficult to understand. The subject (i.e. what is developing) is an activity and/or the actions (such as word-meanings) which make it up. What I call a "concept" is a "path of development" of such aggregates of actions. So you can apply the idea of "path of development" to any aggregate of actions (not only concepts).

What do I mean by "ideal typical"? Here I am drawing on Weber's approach to sociology.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_type

So I am talking about the several "ideal types" of "paths of development" which Vygotsky treats in his "Thinking and Speech."

But any concept, i.e., any *actual* concept, has its own immensely complex, compromised, idiosyncratic "path of development". Science has to deal with "ideal types," Weber told us. And on this he was right.

That said, we have here a "concept of concept," and specifically if "ideal-typical path of development" is a concept of concept, that is because a concept is an "ideal-typical path of development". That's what is so tricky about the ontology of concepts. They are norms.

OK?

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
Andy
your comment:
"Ideal typical path of development" *points to* distinct settings (e.g. natural science, everyday life at home, school, etc.) which is indeed close to the idea of "genre," but "ideal typical path of development" is after all about *paths of development*, ideal ones at that, not settings, projects, theories, domains, social groups, frames, or anything else. :) Andy, if the focus remains on *typical paths of development* OF genres, OF distinct settings OF the existential life world, is it possible to have a conversation within the multi-verse of *romantic science* As I understand the focus on *typical* is *scientific* the paths of development may be romantic and implicate effective history. I am circling around your invitation to have conversations that are interdiciplinary. Simon Critchley, exploring the development of Continental Philosophy wrote about Heidegger's idea of *an existential CONCEPTION of science* Critchley commented, "This would show how the practices of the natural sciences arise out of life-world practices, and that the life-world practices are not simply reducible to natural scientific explanation" Andy, your specific project to develop awareness of the *typical paths* of develop of concept use and transformation through time is emerging within a particular tradition or genre of discourse [within effective history]. I am playfully inquiring if it may be possible to *play* [a word you would not use but points to a hermeneutical genre] on a larger *field of play* that *hears* and acknowledges your voice. I will bring the discussion back to the paper under discussion and the fuzzy boundaries between spontaneous and scientific [systematically 'true' organized] concepts. Andy the path of development FROM spontaneous TO scientific concepts seems to have deen articulated within a genre. However, this is not a dis-interested scientific development. Mike pointed to developmental praxis as centrally concerning *social goods, including moral goods*. Within our developing understanding of ideal paths of concept formation how is this emerging understanding circling back to exploring how our *hearing* gives *voice* to the other*? {Which I suggest is one way to view the development of psychology as a project within a shared moral compass} Larry