Re: [xmca] Re: A Failure of Communication

Well, what I did appreciate about Bazerman, was that he begins from an understanding that concepts are "larger than" words, and that words are *used* to *evoke* concepts. This is an important distinction from the approach to be found among some in the so-called "psychology of concepts" who take words as the larger thing, with concepts being *attributes* of words. Words and concepts are in a many-to-many relationship, but nonetheless, a concept is greater than a word.

To his credit he is also talking about concepts *in the wild*, rather than in the science lab., research office, consultants' rooms or laboratory. But more the *evoking* rather than the *formation* of concepts.

Andy

mike cole wrote:
Ah, thank you Andy.

and here we find ourselves again, entre les deux guerres but oh my how the phrase echoes.

as does the problem of finding the words you want to say but only having the words for things you have already lost interest in talking/writing about.

Seems to me that its a problem with concepts out here in the wild.

mike