[xmca] Re: A Failure of Communication

As usual, i forgot an "attachment". Here is the abstract from Chuck's
paper. Note in particular the last sentence with respect to Elliott.
mike
-------------
>From the perspective of writing, concepts are most readily identified
through conceptual words deployed by writers to evoke conceptual meanings
in readers. Although every word has some conceptual
weight, this article focuses on words associated with core ideas or
classifications or connections of domains of thought—the kinds of terms
attended to in the history of ideas that are at the forefront of
discussions in disciplines and that undergraduates grapple with. Such
concepts are fluid within historically evolving and socially varying
situations, and specific conceptual terms circulate within specific
epistemic communities as part of specific intellectual practices,
associated with specific genres.
These domain-specific conceptual terms create challenges of internalization
for novices, and become the basis for thought gists of those enculturated
into disciplinary w ays of thought. In each new communicative situation
calling for new statements, however, internal gists must be externalized to
create publically shareable articulations of thoughts, undergoing the
disciplines gaining the understanding and engagement of readers within the
epistemic activity system.