Re: [xmca] Romantic Science and Family Trees

Thanks for that Larry. This "divide" is a constantly intriguing and frustrating one. In that context, I appreciated Robert Brandom, who says:

   "I am putting forward a view that is opposed to many ... of the
   large theoretical, explanatory, and strategic commitments that have
   shaped and motivated Anglo-American philosophy in the twentieth
   century: empiricism, naturalism, representationalism, semantic
   atomism, formalism about logic, and instrumentalism about the norms
   of practical rationality, [but] I take my expository and
   argumentative structure and the criteria of adequacy for having made
   a claim with a clear content, argued for it, and responsibly
   followed out its consequences resolutely from the Anglo-American
   tradition."

I take it that the unnamed protagonist is "continental" philosophy. Actually, Marxism and even Hegel-studies seem to have been split along the same vague lines, and kind of occupy a third position. Even though I take Hegel and the positivist reaction to Hegel, to be the origin of the split, about contemporaneous with the amazingly erudite J S Mill.

But interestingly, despite his trenchent critique of "Anglo-Amaerican philosophy," Brandom retains not only its "responsibility, etc," but also many of its weaknesses. ... in my opinion.

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
Mike,
I want to share a passage from Simon Critchley's short book introducing
Continental Philosophy. In this passage I heard intuitions of your
exploration of *romantic science*

"I have made two historical claims for Continental Philosophy. It is a
professional self-description and it is a cultural feature. As a
self-description, Continental philosophy is a necessary - but perhaps
transitory - evil of the professionalization of the discipline. As a
cultural feature, Continental philosophy goes back at least to the time of
Mill, and what can be learned from his views is that the division between
philosophical traditions is the expression of a conflict (and moreover a
sectarian conflict) that is internal to 'Englishness' and not a
geographical opposition between the English-speaking world and the
Continent. As such, the gulf between analytic and Continental Philosophy is
the expression of a deep cultural divide between differing and opposed
habits of thought - let's call them Benthamite and Coleridgean, or
empirical-scientific and hermeneutic-romantic. Mill's deeper point is that
the philosophical and cultural truth of matters, whatever that might be, is
not to be found by choosing sides,and therby mistaking a part for the
whole. Rather, in Hegel's words, the truth is the whole, and the whole has
to be understood in its systematic movement and historical development.
This book is hopefully a contribution to such understanding."
[Simon Critchley  Continental Philosophy, A Very Short Introduction]
{this book is under $10 on Kindle and is an easy introduction to this
fascinating topic}
Larry