From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Andy Blunden
Sent: Sat 11/10/2012 11:13 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] ISCAR Newsletter?

David, send a copy of your genres paper to the list. I have a copy, but
it is not my business to post your papers. Everyone would enjoy reading
it, after this foretaste of your ideas. You might be interested in an
excerpt from my book touching on Kuhn which is here:
http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/concepts-language.htm

David, I am not at all "in two minds" over this question. I think Kuhn's
main error was that he mistakenly took the development of a science
through peer review as insulating the science from the world outside.
But nonetheless, his idea of the internal development of a science is
valid and interesting. But "every philosopher is the thought of their
age" and the same goes for those scientists, those philosophers in the
business of reifying their concepts as existent objects.The same is true
for individual human beings, whose self-identity is but a concept of
themselves, and is realised only in practical dialogue with a million
other souls. And I do think that sciences, psychologies in particular,
are dead when they follow Kuhn's precepts and spend their time dotting
i's and crossing t's and ignoring the rising tides and gathering winds,
important as it is to have all the i's dotted.

So, psychologyu has been "pre-paradigmatic" for about 2,200 yers (taking
Aristotle as my starting point). OK. Perhaps this points to a problem in
the concept of "paradigm" rather than a problem in the sciences who have
not attained one? Have you ever read Marx talking about "the universal
class." Your observations about sciences which hope to totalise all the
other sciences are an echo of Marx here.

I think the point is that we have to see science as part of the world,
in every sense. Thesis 11 applies:

Philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in various ways;
the point is to change it.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1845/theses/index.htm#018

Andy