Re: [xmca] The family tree of CHAT

Hi Mike,
The title of your posting reminded me of this interesting genealogical
chart that Andy created in 2009.

http://ethicalpolitics.org/chat/Genealogy-CHAT.htm

Robert Lake

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andy's response to Nektarios's characterization of CHAT set off a
> discussion that seems too
> important to passover. So I am seeking to rename it in the spirit that I
> think underlies David Ki's approach inquiring about the intellectual goal
> of the sociocultural enterprise.
>
> The extra context for the way David formed his questions socio-cultural
> theory helped a lot
> as did the additional questions & comments from interlocuters. I started
> another thread with the
> intent in giving a name to the topic under discussion that others may wish
> to change. I'll put David's
> text into this message and seek to answer briefly in-situ. I hope it is
> helpful. If so, we can go into
> more detail, if not, someone can put us on the right path.
> ------------
>  David:
>
> Furthermore, Vygotsky and his contemporaries offered their theories as
> scientific explanations of learning and development.
> So, somewhere in the intervening decades the scientific aspirations that
> cultural-historical theorists held for their theories seems to have eroded.
> My question asks after this change:
>
> *I believe we should be cautious in our interpretations of what it meant
> for Vygotsky and his contemporaries (I assume you include luria, leontiev
> assuming we are talking about the specifically*
> *Vygotskian thread), to "offer their theories as scientific explanations."*
> *
> *
> *Its not that I do not believe that there was a time in his career when he
> had visions of solving the crisis in psychology theoretically. In the
> context of his time he HAD to claim it as a scientific theory of he was an
> even deader man walking even sooner. Jim Wertsch argues was an ambivalent
> figure in this regard.*
> *
> *
> *In any event, SO MUCH has happened in this regard, between the 1920's and
> now that there are likely to be a lot of competing stories out there. And
> Anton is busy unraveling further uncertainties about who wrote what when
> and why for an entire history. *
> *
> *--Have cultural-historical psychologists, overall, abandoned scientific
> aspirations for their theories?
> I have sometimes argued, never in print up to now, that if there were such
> a thing as an integrative theory that combined phylogenetic, cultural
> historical, ontogenetic, and microgenetic scales of time/process would be
> the metapsychology. But I also thought that any attempt to formulate such a
> meta-theory the ring bearer would end up in a lot of turf squabbling in bad
> will. Better to spend one's time with a discipline which might seriously
> tackle the problem, Communication for example. :-)
> --Have some abandoned those aspirations, but other maintain them?
> [...]

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Associate Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-0355
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.