From: Andy Blunden [mailto:ablunden@mira.net]
Sent: Thu 11/8/2012 12:36 AM
To: Nektarios Alexi
Cc: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] ISCAR Newsletter?

Others can probably enlighten us more than I can, Nektarios, but I think he was a very erudite person. Clearly from a young age he was hungry for knowledge and read widely in many languages. But specifically, he was coming of age in Russia right in the midst of the Russian Revolution. This revolution threw literally millions of people into all kinds of "social criticism" (Luria describes the tumultuous scene in his University at the time, in his Autobiography). New movements in Art, literature, Linguistics, natural science, social theory, philosophy, technology, social organisation,... sprung up spontaneously on all sides. Vygotsky was a part of that. That is the main thing. But for geopolitical reasons it was a short-lived "Spring."

In particular, I think, Vygotsky came from Art Criticism (in a milieu where drama theory, linguistics and aesthetic theory were making world historic advances in Vygotsky's immediate social circle. Then his intellectual disposition (as exhibited in his Psychology of Art) took him into education and scientific psychology. At that time, prior to and independently of the Revolution, Russia was already in the forefront of Behaviourist research in Psychology. Vygotsky was in an ideal position to bring the social criticism he learnt as a student into the scientific establishment around Pavlov, Bekhterev, etc. Add to that his close study of Marx's Capital, Lenin's philosophical works, and Engels' popularisation, is the broth which produced Vygotsky.

See http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/chat/Genealogy-CHAT.htm

Andy

        Hi Andy,
My question is how Vygotsky could tackle such subtle problems in the theories of Piaget but also others in his book Thought and Language? What kind of intellectual or theoretical backgorund did Vygotsky had that allowed him to see the human nature in such a depth and not just that but also find the precise language to describe it, but not just describe it but describe it in scientific terms and also with evidence? Can we say that it was his comprehensive knowledge on arts and especially of classic literature that helped him to see that deep and notice such subtle details and errors in so many other important psychological theories of his time? Just saying.. Nektarios -----Original Message-----