Re: [xmca] Deferred Risk?

Andy,
I do not know about "deferred risk", but there has been a plenty of
research on "risk taking" among clinical psychologists, often linking it to
certain mental disorders or certain age groups.  Besides looking on risk
taking among certain age groups (adolescents, young adults and elderly),
the current emphasis seems to be on domain specific risks (e.g., sex,
finances, competition, etc) .
You may also like the following work on the evolutionary perspective on
risk-taking
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&ved=0CGcQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epjournal.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fep05555568.pdf&ei=xc6IUP6aB4jPiwLN-4G4Dw&usg=AFQjCNFpGDsdZjx-Yy1v1K3glaLScRU7kw
The attempt there is to frame risk-taking behaviors with evolutionary valid
domains such as between-group competition, within group competition,
allocation of resources, mating etc.

Sonja

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> Thanks for that, Jen. I ordered the book from amazon.com and look forward
> to reading it.
> Andy
>

> Jennifer Vadeboncoeur wrote:
>
>> Andy, have you seen Cynthia Lightfoot's text, The culture of adolescent
>> risk taking. I appreciate it because she foregrounds what actions that are
>> considered risk taking mean to people. Maybe this is of interest? Best to
>> you - jen
>>

>>  Does anyone know of papers (or books) on the topic of the psychology of
>>> deferred risk?
>>> By this I mean studies of how people perceive, for example, the risks of
>>> actions they take now when it is common knowledge that absolutely nothing
>>> bad will happen for a long time, but then the result will be possibly
>>> fatal. Having unprotected sex with someone who's probably got AIDS, for
>>> example, or maybe engaging in fraudulent business practices, or taking up
>>> smoking. It's a bit like the other side of deferred benefits, of working
>>> hard at school so that you get a good job a decade later, of which Activity
>>> Theorists have given a lot of attention. I am over the anthropological
>>> literature, moral panics and so on, I am looking for something in CHAT or
>>> general psychology.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>> Andy
>>> --
>>>

> --

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic mail transmission may contain protected health and/or other
personal information only for use by the intended recipients.  Any use,
distribution, copying or disclosure by any person other than the intended
recipients is strictly prohibited and may be subject to civil action and/or
criminal penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender by reply email or by telephone and delete the
transmission.