[xmca] FW: 2013 IAIMTE Paris conference: http://www.iaimte.com

Distribution list IAIMTe conference, see general information for the 2013 IAIMTE Paris conference: http://www.iaimte.com

We invite you to participate in a special session dealing with the teaching of Literature in a context of linguistic, cultural, social and political complexity in school and in higher education.
Proposals will be welcome until November 15th, 2012 (to our e-mail, see below).

The Linguistic, Cultural, Social and Political Complexity in the Multicultural Literature Classroom
The immigration phenomenon in today's global world, as well as the voices being heard throughout Europe regarding the failure of the multicultural project, suggest the need for re-examination of the teaching of Literature and its cultural-social aspects.
The topic of Literature teaching in multicultural settings was the subject of intensive study in the USA in the 1980s, producing work regarding power relations in the classroom, elements affecting the willingness to see the other and hear his voice, teachers' and students' opinions in different teaching-learning situations, etc. Now, in the second decade of the 21st century, the need to listen anew to the authentic voices of all involved in the teaching of Literature in different contexts is re-emerging.
We wish to organize a session dealing with issues of the teaching of Literature in culturally, linguistically, socially and politically complex situations, such as:

·         What happens in situations when a class populated by learners from different cultures, languages and religions reads Literature created by a writer from one of these groups, discussing his/her culture or religion?

·         What happens in situations where there is tension between the cultures collaborating in the reading and learning process: what do we teach and how do we teach it?

·         What happens when a class which is seemingly culturally homogeneous reads a literary text written by a writer from another culture considered a marginal or even an enemy culture?

·         Which dilemmas and challenges are uncovered vis-à-vis issues of linguistic policy?

·         What dynamics take place within the learning groups?

·         What is the necessary knowledge for teaching the Literature of another people or culture?

·         What processes do teachers undergo in such classes?

·         What feelings do learners have and what processes do they undergo?

·         What is being elaborated or voiced and what silenced?
What is your point of view as a researcher of Language and Literature regarding these issues?
Dr. Yael Poyas,  yael_p@oranim.ac.il<mailto:yael_p@oranim.ac.il>
Prof. Ilana Elkad-Lehman, y.lehman@012.net.il<mailto:y.lehman@012.net.il>

Gert Rijlaarsdam | Universiteit van Amsterdam |