From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:03 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Help? - Microgenesis, Microgenetic, Microgeny?

Mike, in "Tool and Symbol in Child development," Vygotsky goes on at great length and detail in distinguishing between the changes in the child's functioning associated with the use of tools (e.g. a bicycle) and the use of a sign. (and he includes learning by rote under the heading of tool- not symbol-use) I hesitate to try to summarise this discussion. But he makes a distinction between acquiring the habit of using a tool, and adopting a symbol for use in controlling one's own and others' minds. I think this is the distinction which is /underlying /his elusive distinction between learning and development.

Vygotsky's "clear-cut dualism" has to be understood in terms of its basis and the use he is making of it, i.e., to explain a conceptual distinction in understanding tendencies of developmental processes.
Ultimately, a dichotomy between tool and sign, or even between tool-use and symbol-use is unsustainable, least of all in our times - one and the same keyboard can be used to control a machine or send a message to the operator. Controlling one's own body has to be counted as tool-use in some circumstances, and symbol-use in others.

Vygotsky does explicitly recognise that use of a tool modifies the mental processes and enlarges the child's sphere of activity, but he wants to focus on what he sees as *voluntary* control of the child's own behaviour, and he does not see learning to use a tool as doing that: you have learnt to ride, but you still need to be on a bicycle to do it, I suppose. It is a bit like the distinction between a "potential concept"
and a "true concept." A potential concept can be acquired as a system of actions organised around a tool, but it is still only potential. Once the same activity is organised even when the tool is not present, but by means of a true, semiotic representation of the tool, then you have a "higher psychological function."

I don't think there is any easy way of representing Vygotsky's thought here in English and I suspect not in Russian either. He is not saying that there are two types of psychological activities, higher and lower; there are two types of concept, potential and true; there are two types of artefact, semiotic and material, even though this is precisely what he says on numerous occasions. He is talking about opposite tendencies and sources in *processes*, and the language doesn't offer us many means of communicating this other than saying "there are two types of ..." And because the distinctions he is making are brand new and original, he has to really hammer the distinction to the point of a "clear-cut dualism"
in order to make his point, which is, in my opinion, not really about dualisms at all. I think the same goes for learning and development.

That's my take,
Andy