Re: [xmca] The Frail Chain

Hi Larry-

People have different ways of trying to combine insights associated with
Vygotsky et al that we call CHAT.
So I guess I don't really want to discuss is CHAT a Romantic science. Andy
has done a ton of work tracing
back lineages of Romantic science. A pretty long and diverse lineage.

I specifically do not want to grant David's comment that "an even more
important reason to reject the epithet of romantic science is that it
assumes a very ahistorical and non-dialectical opposition between
romanticism and enlightenment.

I do not interpret Luria this way, so entering the discussion on that basis
just doesn't attract me. Who among us would start out with that premise?
Not David, not me. So, for me the discussion is to explore the varieties
and choices and what we, ourselves, are seeking to do in our work/lives.

Luria and Vygotsky spoke of will.self control as learning to control
oneself from the outside. They sided with many who declare that "in the
beginning is the deed."  When you put those ideas together, how are they
contradicted by
Hazlitt?

I was serious when I said that the quotation from Marx seemed apropriate.
Luria was a clinician AND an experimentalist, often with the same
individuals. In at least two famous cases, he interacted with individuals
over decades. His version of Romantic Science was decidedly BOTH/AND not
either/or and the crucible of
practice was where the two, historically intertwined work views reveal
 themselves.

I think David engages in this form of science, too. You see it in his
ability to bring his academic knowledge of
language, thought, and development to the practice of teaching as a second
language. In another way he
does it in his finest examples for great works of art and their analysis
through Vygotskian thought.

I am simply intellectually incapable of now adding more voices into the
discussion without reaching some
understanding of our presumed common starting points, to the extent to
which such exist! (Which is one of
the issues we struggle with always on xmca!).

I beg you pardon for asking you to pause before moving on. I feel on too
unsure  a footing to follow at the moment.

mike