Re: [xmca] The Frail Chain

Good morning Mike and David

THIS topic:  Is CHAT a Romantic science?

 seems central to explorations of the yearning and desire to transform the
world.  David , your sharing Hazlitt's insight that volition and will are
not retrospective, or focused on the present, but rather oriented to
anticipating how to act in the future seems to be a wonderful temporal
dimension to explore.

Another way IN to this topic is your comment,

 It seems to me that an even more important reason to reject the epithet of
romantic science is that it assumes a very ahistorical and non-dialectical
opposition between romanticism and enlightenment.

So, I would like to propose that "seeing through" THIS tension [or way of
reading] the historical movement BETWEEN romanticism and enlightenment IS
the narrative to explore.

An analogy to Freud and Jung's ongoing conversation about dreams and where
they come from and their function may be relevant to this topic as a way to
show a dialectic within psychology as an expression of psyche.
Freud saw dreams as retrospective, memory traces, expressing the infantile
wishfulfillment at the heart of the unconscious. Jung saw dreams as having
a teleological function calling us into the future.
Now both Freud and Jung constructed autobiographical myths where they
positioned themselves as the protaganosists who were DISCOVERING this new
realm of the unconscious.  In fact, this conversation had been
EXPLICITLY developing for at least a century as a RESPONSE within German
Romanticism to the enlightenment yearnings for certainty. For example
dreams as PROSPECTIVE and prophetic was a key notion of German
Romanticism. These ideas were being developed and extended by authors such
as Flourney as a deepening conversation between the enlightenment and
German Romanticism.  However, in the egocentric yearning for recognition of
"I"  as the author of a discovery, the HISTORICAL conversation BETWEEN
Romanticism and enlightenment impulses [as the location of the development
of the narrative] becomes lost.
I wonder if this same tendency may be at play in the ongoing conversation
in CHAT exploring the creative imagination and instrumental orientations?

One further aside. Dreams and play were also being explored at this
time for the common functions expressed in rehearsing the NEXT steps in the
developmental process within dreams and play as analogus impulses.

While I'm here, I want to add an insight from Zygmunt Bauman's notions of
solid and liquid modernity in his discussion of Freud's book *Freiheit and
Sicherheit* [translated as Freedom and Security].

Bauman calls our attention to an error in translation of this title as
"sicherheit" is a much more complex term than "security" and expresses the
UNITY of three English terms that are seen as autonomous concepts.
Sicherheit as a notion expresses the UNITY of the terms security &
certainty & safety which are viewed as autonomous concepts in English.

Bauman suggests as we read Freud's writing we see he was exploring the
themes of freedom [romantic notion] and sicherheit [security, certainty,
and safety as enlightenment orientations].

Bauman's key idea is that historically we are in transition from a time of
solid modernity to what he terms liquid modernity.  Freud was writing at a
time of solid modernity when the quest for sicherheit as ORDER and
NORMS made the yearning for freedom vulnerable. Today, in times of liquid
modernity, the trade off is now reversed. Individual freedom is in the
ascendence but the prime consequence is the fragility of sicherheit AS
ORDER and NORMS.
Bauman writes,

"In liquid modernity the dearth of risk-free CHOICES and the growing
unclarity of the game-rules which render most of the moves and above all
the outcomes of the moves - which rebound as perceptions of threat to
SAFETY - first the safety of the body and then the safety of property -
that space-body extension. The withdrawal into the SAFE haven of
territoriality is an intense, desiring temptation - and so the DEFENSE of
the SAFE home becomes the passkey to all doors which one feels must be
locked up and sealed off to stave off the TRIPLE threat to SPIRITUAL and
MATERIAL sicherheit" [Bauman, "social Issues of Law and Order" in The
British Journal of Criminology, 2000, v.40, p205-221]

Bauman's exploring the yearning for law and order as SAFETY would explain
the tea party movement, etc. which he suggests is a GENERAL  response to
liquid modernity and its deep bias towards individual freedom. For Bauman,
this pursuit of a romantic ideal has consequences of increased
vulnerability to sicherheit.  [which is displaced into the pursuit of
SAFETY because security and certainty are existential human  yearnings
but governments can respond to safety concerns

Mike, David, I hope the invitation to explore the hermeneutical historical
conversation BETWEEN romantic and enlightenment will generate further
Western history may make explicit the tension between freedom [romantic
ideal] and sicherheit [enlightenment ideal] that is in play in our searches
and researches

Larry