From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Michael Glassman
Sent: Mon 7/23/2012 2:27 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: RE: [xmca] Taking culture into account/Doing harm?

Greg,

Obviously there are different levels of decision making.  Male circumcision is basically cosmetic surgery while female circumcision (and perhaps it shouldn't be called that) has lifelong implications.  I don't think it is a good comparison.  If male circumcision had the same lifelong implications I would say no, and be phenomenally angry at my parents - and believe they did not have the right in any way to do what they did, I am sure of that.  So why would you think many females wouldn't feel the same way.  I think it is always better to make decisions based on as much knowledge of people as possible rather than on opaque systems.

Michael
mca@weber.ucsd.e <mailto:xmca@weber.ucsd.e>

<<winmail.dat>>