Re: [xmca] Plasticity and Physiotherapy

Monica, the topic "plasticity and physiotherapy" began about how a "paramedical" profession, "physiotherpay," knew about "plasiticity" and were using it practically, scientifically and professionally in rehabilitating brain damaged soldiers or stroke sufferers after they were handed over to their care by the neurologists. They have had this knowledge at least since the 1940s, 50 years before, with much triumphalism and trumpetting, the high status profession of neuroscience announced it as a new discovery of theirs (like the European sailors "discovering" Australia). And without any knowledge of what was happening in the USSR.

I found a 1950s issue of the British Medical Journal where the writer complained that the doctors knew nothing of what happened to their patients after they were handed over to the "nurses" to care for and told the "nurses" nothing of what had happened to the patient prior to them being handed over. So the culture was set up to block a complete scientific knowledge from being developed.

Your commentary continues this theme, pointing to respect for the knowledge high status professions but the serious underestimation of the knowledge of low-status professions, and how this is a problem.

Andy

monica.hansen wrote:
I am trying to remember how this is relevant to the subject of plasticity and physiotherapy... these are all just observations of how concepts are culural, not chemical. The subjective experience of understanding a concept arises from neural activation, so the concepts held by those in particular discourses of "normal" sciences are clearly going to be developed (involving more neural activation and plasticity) but developed because of the interraction within the discourse. Thus, sometimes traitional ways of doing and thinking are perpetuated even though we can show evidence why they shouldn't be.