Re: [xmca] empirical evidence

I've been following up on some of Francine's leads, reading Furster's book on-line, together his 2001 article on the prefrontal cortex, reading which has fit nicely with my plan to catch up on the literature about X-system and C-system in social neuroscience, and systems 1 and 2 in cognitive science. A couple of observations...

First, I have some sympathy with Anton's view that the lower/higher functions distinction can be an overly simple dichotomy, and that LSV was in the process of at least revising it, and perhaps replacing it, when he died. But if so it is ironic that right now several areas of psychology are in the middle of a grand exploration of "dual systems" - of automatic and controlled psychological processes, with different neural substrates - and LSV's work has, as Francine points out, some direct relevance there. One might argue that we should hold onto LSV's terminology at least long enough to engage those researchers in a debate that both we and they could learn from.

Second, I am starting to think that a decade or more of brain research has led, seemingly paradoxically, to a greater appreciation of the role of culture in psychological functioning and development, rather than to more biological reductionism. Reflecting on the kinds of things that have been found by brain researchers that implicate culture, this is my list so far - I am sure more can be added: Plasticity, at the cost of innate capability; extended course of synaptogenesis and myelination; the importance of functional units, integrated assemblies, networked and hierarchical; brain development requires adequate stimulation, provided by adults, directly and by creating the environment; limbic structures have social & familiar functions; frontal cortex depends on both lower cortical regions and external structuring; brain changes associated with tool use.

What else have we learned about the brain that implies the centrality of culture? And what other empirical evidence do we have? And I will start to work around to the self-directed speech literature that Francine has pointed to. (How was it that Kohlberg was testing LSV in 1968?? Was it Flavell's influence?)

Martin