Re: [xmca] Francois Cooren

Nothing communicates as profoundly as vocal sounds, - motions of the human body -. Everything is named, - identified -, by sounds made by our body. Our own body-emotional goings on is the currency by which all else is valued. We relate to our world with our word. Everything is reletive to the word. The "final word" on anything IS the word. The only handle we have on the meaning of our world is the effect on us of the sounds of our words. We can prove nothing and can only feel our vocal sounds for information of how we are affected by things. It takes different words to communicate different information. Bear in mind that words are fundamentally sounds and secondarily, referential tools. When we refer to a thing, the referential tool is between ourselves and the thing. We perceive and are affected by the tool - the word - first and foremost and then also by the thought of the referred-to thing. Subliminally, the word defines the thing: Consciously, the thing defines the word.

		Joseph Gilbert