Re: [xmca] Wertsch proposes two distinct functions of text: univocal and dialogic

Something like a "univocal" mechanism seems useful to me to point to
communicative acts in relatively ossified/fossilized cultural settings,
with the caveat that there aren't any "permanent" such settings.  So,
clocking-in/clocking-out and laboring in a factory creates a social setting
that imposes a high degree of univocality (as well as unidirectionality of
power relations).

But, it seems to me even more useful to think of the dialogic function as
the "always on" communicative and meaning-generating mechanism --even in
situations that are ostensibly "only" univocal.  So, even when the meaning
that is to be "conveyed" ( I prefer to say generated-anew ) is
genre-typical and uncontroversial, the very function of recalling such
meaning to mind in social interaction seems to me a (re)creative act.  Even
if "nothing" in the message/meaning being conveyed has changed, certainly
the speakers/listeners change in time, and so there's no predicting how the
"same message" will be recreated in dialogue.

The more general way to think about it for me is by way of implication:
 ceaseless change and motion in both our material and semantic worlds
implies the dialogic function of communication (and cognition, or
commognition, as Sfard would say).

So, I guess my answer is that I agree with the univocal/dialogic
distinction as a useful heuristic, especially in distinguishing highly
structured and power-asymmetric worlds (like school) from others that are
much more playful and imaginatively elastic.

Ivan