Re: [xmca] Taking culture into account/Doing harm?

On 25 July 2012 16:50, White, Phillip <Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu> wrote:

> Andy - thanks for the Scribner article - much appreciated.
>
> i had no intention of suggesting a cause and effect description of CHAT as
> you've described below.  nor am i suggesting that all problems anyone faces
> in life are to be ascribed to a teacher, or tyrants.

My reading of colonization in this context was of an enforced mediation,
e.g. railroads, television, computing, money & consumerism, of which the
only defence is conscious organization, e.g. intracultural agreement to
sustain the means of production in which values are education/practice are
inherent.

Were the "2 hours of schooling" the crucible by means of which the native
pupil would accommodate a central pervasive orientation (to help them swim
better in the wider invasive culture), it's not so hard to imagine why it
might be the target of vitriol.  If a railroad is undermining your local
culture, why should you care if the cargo only ships for a few hours a day?

Anyway I've other distractions keeping me reading Lave/Richardson, so
you'll have to tell me whether I'm way off here.

Huw

thanks,