Re: [xmca] Taking culture into account/Doing harm?

sorry, didn't catch what the "it" (male circumcision?) was in the phrase
"giving my parents a pass on it".

RE: male circumcision, there is lots and lots and lots of debate:
I just pulled this up:
http://artofmanliness.com/2009/02/22/clip-the-tip-pointcounterpoint-on-male-circumcision/
but there is lots more debate out there, and a strong suggestion that it is
much more than "cosmetic." (and are you suggesting that "cosmetic" surgery
is an okay thing for doctors to practice).

And if you read Fuambai's article, there is also debate about how serious
female circumcision is (and Rick Shweder has often suggested that even a
nick on the clitoris might be able to count as an effective practice of
"circumcision").

But the question isn't about male and female circumcision. The question is:
who gets to decide what is right and good and true when it comes to
people's (whether a child's or adult's) lives?

Do you really want to leave those decisions up to the doctors?
I don't.

-greg

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Michael Glassman <MGlassman@ehe.osu.edu>wrote:

> Hi Gregg,
>
> One more thing,  to tell you the truth I wouldn't be so thrilled with a
> bunch of academics giving my parents a pass on it because it was their
> cultural belief systems.  How about you?
>
> Michael

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Sanford I. Berman Post-Doctoral Scholar
Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition
Department of Communication
University of California, San Diego
http://ucsd.academia.edu/GregoryThompson