Re: [xmca] Francois Cooren

Huw,
I am referring to the influence upon persons by the deep structure of spoken-word language - the relationship between the sounds of words and that to which they refer -. The personal intellectual activity that some participate in, using words as thinking facilitators, is the realm of the few, the ones who have the time and motivation to do so, not the majority of those of us who are struggling to make ends meet. The harassed masses typically do not have much perceived opportunity to engage in "extracurricular" activities. The affect upon us of our language is automatic and constant, while the understandings we achieve by our deliberate reasoning comes to us only by our efforts. I am not arguing against free will, but rather saying that whatever impinges on our perspective, - especially whatever impinges strongly on it -, should not be unknown to us. For our survival, we need to understand human culture.

	Joseph