Re: [xmca] The Self-esteem movement

Thanks for that page, Daniel. When I recall the different "cultures" that held sway in classes in participated in as a student, some with intense educationally valuable practices, others very disengaged from learning, these observations ring very true to me.

I had no special investment in that item from the TV News which I posted, and actually had never thought of connecting elephant stamps with bullying, but was just interested in seeing the first crack in a mass media campaign which drives /me/ crazy. I apologise for driving /you/ crazy.

Andy

Hickey, Daniel Thomas wrote:
MCAers--

Ugh.  The sort of pop research in the video from Australia drives me crazy.  The link between self-esteem and bullying is complicated and their link with existing research is even more complicated.

I have struggled for some time to move motivation research into the situative realm and move beyond the corrosive debate between the two prevailing individually-oriented models.  There is a summary here but it needs updating http://www.education.com/reference/article/sociocultural-theories-of-motivation/.  I am going to be updating this over the next years to help inform the debate of extrinsic incentives that has been sparked by the MacArthur Foundation's Badges for Lifelong Learning Initiative (stay tuned--I predict that this innovation will be a major turning point for digital media and learning, and likely education more broadly: http://dmlcentral.net/blog/david-theo-goldberg/badges-learning-threading-needle-between-skepticism-and-evangelism)

I have not been following the bullying literature lately and am trained more in cognitive psych than developmental psych.  But I followed this issue very closely while a doc student at Vandy.  Several of my friends there studied with Ken Dodge, who led the research that I assume is being questioned in these and other similar popular accounts.   In the tradition Bandura, Dodge et al. were exceedingly careful researcher.  For example, Schwartz, Dodge, Pettit and Bates (1997):

This study reports the first prospective investigation of the early family experiences of boys who later emerged as both aggressive and bullied (i.e., aggressive victims) during their middle childhood years. It was hypothesized that a history of violent victimization by adults leads to emotion dysregulation that results in a dual pattern of aggressive behavior and victimizaion by peer. Interviews with mothers of 198 5-year-old boys assessed preschool home environments. Four to 5 years later, aggressive behavior and peer victimization were assessed in the school classroom. The early experiences of 16 aggressive victims were contrasted with those of 21 passive (nonaggressive) victims, 33 nonvictimized aggressors, and 128 normative boys. Analyses indicated that the aggressive victim group had experienced more punitive, hostile, and abusive family treatment than the other groups. In contrast, the nonvictimized aggressive group had a history of greater exposure to adult aggression and conflict, but not victimization by adults, than did the normative group, whereas the passive victim group did not differ from the normative group on any home environment variable.

I was awed at the time both by the amount of work involved in these studies and the precision they used.  There are numerous other studies showing that by a variety measures of self that aggressive youths think less of themselves then other similar youths, and that this is strongly linked to exposure to adult aggression, (not coddling, as the current backlash would suggests).

What is frustrating for me is that the psychologists in the video turn to more cultural visions of development to dismiss what IMO is the most appropriate theory and method for uncovering the development of bullies.  I assume that there are more cultural analyses of the development of aggression, and those likely shed useful additional light on the question, and help frame the prior developmental research in a broader cultural context.

I hope Eugene Matusov will chime in.  I will cc Ken Dodge and see if we can get him to chime in.

Dan Hickey

Indiana University

Learning Sciences Program