From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of mike cole
Sent: Mon 7/23/2012 8:17 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Taking culture into account/Doing harm?

Michael.

reading from the side there is a real disagreement in this conversation and
I think it revolves around different uses of the term "culture" and
different ascriptions of views to cultural psychology.

I really think you need to re-think a statement such as the following in
your note:
 The science that fracking has a high chance of hurting the water table is
not cultural.

To begin with, scientifically guided/constrained action is always only a
part of culturally organized human activity. Secondly, the facts about
fracking and the current controversies of what its consequences are is in
the news right now because of the controversies that extend way out into
the socio-cultural order(s) about the science! It is like a case study
for how science is always, only, cultural.  Its just a particular form of
instrumentalism when used as it is being used in this conversation.

We should be reading Dewey on the quest for certainty here.

mike

<<winmail.dat>>