Re: [xmca] Understanding is no method but rather a form of communication

Peter,

I've now read the article by Helen Cushman that you send as an example of research that adopts an attitude that is not patronizing. It is interesting and indeed moving research, but I don't see that it solves the problems that we have been talking about.

Cushman set out to show that the people who were subjects of her ethnography did not suffer from false-consciousness, and in fact were in the possession of "critical consciousness."
She documented people learning "institutional language" in order to try to obtain needed resources, such as housing and welfare, and learning how to "manipulate" the public service agencies. They refused to accept the values of landlords and others in positions of power. They practiced resistance, subterfuge, and merely wore a mask of compliance. They were able "to assess the usefulness of their strategies and also to assess the larger social and political context that confounded their attempts to get up and out of the ghetto."

But it seems equally evident that their "counter-hegemonic ideologies" were not enough for their circumstances to change in any significant way. Cushman notes that "collective action and sweeping social change do not necessarily result from critical awareness." She herself recommends that the work of critical researchers (she focuses on critical pedagogues) should not be dismantled but redirected. In other words, we are still left with the question of the best relationship between researcher and participant if real change is going to be the result.

And that brings us to questions about the practice of Cushman's own research. First, it seems that her role was merely to document, not to try to change. This is not an example of critical or emancipatory research. One wonders, in fact, whether the situation of the people she studied has not been made worse by the publication of her findings.

Second, her methods of analysis seem precisely to have been chosen to enable her to get "a sense of the whole," as I have been putting it. She describes her use of critical discourse analysis in the following terms: "Critical discourse analysis worked like a camera lens that moved smoothly from a tight focus on a particular linguistic choice, to an intermediate focus on the social context, to a wider focus on the larger political arena in which the events occurred."

So, while her conclusions may not be patronizing, I don't see that her work provides an illustration of how to do research that is 'on behalf' of people in difficult circumstances, rather than merely 'about' those people.

Martin