Re: [xmca] Fwd: AERA 2013 Call for Proposals

Hi Helena,
I would be interested depending on the angle of the
proposal. For example, if we take her work and use it to address the need
to transform the perception of "vocational education" from "loser track" on
one hand and the  neoliberal, globalization agenda on the other,   then YES.
Robert Lake

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Helena Worthen <helena.worthen@berkeley.edu
> wrote:

> I'd like to float a proposal for a SIG roundtable that would focus on
> Sylvia Scribner's work. I will admit up front that I have only been vaguely
> aware of her as the other author of Scribner and Cole's "Psychology of
> Literacy". I knew that she was someone very important, but that was about
> it.  Now there's time before next April to dig pretty deep and I have the
> feeling that studying her would illuminate my own thinking on learning for
> work and jobs. I would like to do this.
>
> Would others be interested in this? We'd have to prepare a proposal for a
> roundtable.
>
> Listening attentively --
>
> Helena
>

> Helena Worthen
> helena.worthen@berkeley.edu
> 21 San Mateo Road
> Berkeley, CA 94707
> Visiting Scholar, UCB Center for Labor Research and Education
> 510-828-2745
>
> On Jun 5, 2012, at 3:09 PM, Duvall, Emily wrote:
>

> >> AERA 2013 http://www.aera.net
> >>
> >> San Francisco, California
> >>
> >> April 27-May 1, 2013
> >>

> >> Dear XMCA members and friends,
> >>
> >> As your SIG program chairs, we are very excited to be sending out the
> AERA 2013 call for proposals! We feel that the theme,  "Education and
> Poverty: Theory, Research, Policy, and Praxis”, is especially significant
> to our SIG members and colleagues as we often attempt to address ongoing
> disparities between the rich and poor in the United States and around the
> world that is grounded in specific understandings of the ways and means
> human development is understood within global contexts. We welcome all
> submissions, especially those that explore this general theme from a
> cultural-historical perspective, but would especially encourage proposals
> that explore the general theme from the intersections between theory and
> praxis.
> >>
> >> Full call:
> http://www.aera.net/Portals/38/docs/Publications/AERA%20Highlights/AERA2013AMCallForSubmissions.pdf
> >>

> >> The deadline for proposal submissions is July 22, 2012, but can be
> submitted as early as July 1st.
> >>

> >> Please note that there are very limited numbers of symposia available.
> Roundtables are a good option as they are set up to allow for ‘presenting’
> and discussion of various papers. The distinguishing factor is that the
> goal of the roundtable is more discussion amongst all the participants
> whereas a symposium is arranged more for formal presentation of works with
> a discussant providing most of the connecting and critique.
> >>

> >> Also, last year we were able to Skype in a last minute discussant
> (thanks again to Mike Cole for being so generous). An attempt to video tape
> the business meeting was also a last minute effort. This year, perhaps we
> need to broaden our thinking and consider what we might, as a SIG, achieve
> with the use of technology.

> [...]

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Assistant Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.