RE: [xmca] Identifying the Top Studies : adult learning

I find Jack Mezirow's work on transformative learning to be pretty interesting stuff.

Michael

________________________________

From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Helena Worthen
Sent: Sun 5/13/2012 8:12 PM
To: laure.kloetzer@gmail.com; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Identifying the Top Studies : adult learning

I'd vote for Knud Illeris's Adult Education as well as his Contemporary Theories of Learning: Learning theorists in their own words.  You probably started with Paulo Freire, right? And of course Kohl's book, The Long Haul, co-written by the two of them, about Myles Horton, the American Freire. And there are a number of good books by Canadians, including Peter Sawchuk and David Livingstone's Hidden Knowledge.

Helena

Helena Worthen
helena.worthen@berkeley.edu
21 San Mateo Road
Berkeley, CA 94707
Visiting Scholar, UCB Center for Labor Research and Education
510-828-2745

On May 13, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Laure Kloetzer wrote:

> I would like to extend Mike's question, as I am beginning a research on the
> psychology of learning (adult learning). Which books/papers would you
> consider remarkable regarding adult learning in the past 20 years ?
> Best regards,
> LK
>
> 2012/5/10 Cathrene Connery <cconnery@ithaca.edu>
>
>> Gordon Wells' Meaning Makers was also highly significant.
>>
>> Dr. Cathrene Connery
>> Assistant Professor of Education
>> Ithaca College
>> Department of Education
>> 194B Phillips Hall Annex
>> 953 Danby Road
>> Ithaca, New York 13850
>> Cconnery@ithaca.edu
>>
>> On May 10, 2012, at 5:56 AM, Peter Smagorinsky <smago@uga.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Heath's Ways with Words would be near the top of my list.

<<winmail.dat>>