Re: [xmca] Measuring culture

*Linguistic relativity Continued.......*
*
*
 From Lake, R. (2012). *Vygotsky on Education Primer.* (pp. 111-112).New
York. Peter Lang.

Because each culture makes meaning in widely
diverse ways, language forms and usage might have
complex intricacies and shades of meaning on one
concept alone. The standard example of this is how
time is viewed differently by different cultures. (This
does not include the popular myth that the Hopi
tribe of Indians does not have a word for time—it is
simply not true.) However there are plenty of examples
from the present day that suggest ways that language
can shape thought. Consider the Australian
aboriginal language, Guugu Yimithirr, spoken in
north Queensland, which has no words for right or
left, in front of, or behind to describe location. Instead
they use the points of the compass even when
requesting that someone move over to make room.
They will say “move a bit to the east.” To tell you
where exactly they left something in your house,
they’ll say, “I left it on the southern edge of the
western table.”
 (Deutscher, G. (2010, August 29) Does your language shape how you
think? The New York Times Sunday Magazine, p. MM 42.)

The effect on the thinking of this group is phenomenal
in orienting the speakers to their directional
spatial environment to such that roughly 1
out of every 10 words in conversational Guugu
Yimithirr includes either north, south, east or west
and is accompanied with precise hand gestures
(ibid). Consequently in this culture, language acquisition
involves constant awareness of spaces relative
to the points of the compass. Deutscher relays a fascinating
story about the ways that memory is stored
for the speakers of this language. The story also
serves as a clear example of Vygotsky’s notion of language
as a mediating tool as a means of creating
higher levels of consciousness through spatial kin -
es thetic approaches to meaning creation.
One Guugu Yimithirr speaker was filmed telling his
friends the story of how in his youth, he capsized in
shark-infested waters. He and an older person were
caught in a storm, and their boat tipped over. They
both jumped into the water and managed to swim
nearly three miles to the shore, only to discover that
the missionary for whom they worked was far more
concerned at the loss of the boat than relieved at
their miraculous escape. Apart from the dramatic
content, the remarkable thing about the story was
that it was remembered throughout in cardinal directions:
the speaker jumped into the water on the
western side of the boat, his companion to the east
of the boat, they saw a giant shark swimming north
and so on. Perhaps the cardinal directions were just
made up for the occasion? Well, quite by chance,
the same person was filmed some years later telling
the same story. The cardinal directions matched exactly
in the two tellings. Even more remarkable
were the spontaneous hand gestures that accompanied
the story. For instance, the direction in which
the boat rolled over was gestured in the correct geographic
orientation, regardless of the direction the
speaker was facing in the two films (ibid).
This story also serves as a reminder that linguistic
differences should not be viewed as liabilities. Instead
we should see them as assets to the entire family of
humans that keep homogeneity at bay by creating
spaces for multiple ways of thinking, communicating,
problem solving and being in the world.