Re: [xmca] Education: Thanks Robert Lake

Mike, Robert

The centrality of metaphors and how they are applied in *ways* of knowing
is something I've been playing with, especially Gadamers expression,
*fusion* of horizons.
The metaphor of *fusion AS metaphor* or alternatively *metaphor AS fusion*.

Could the phrase *metaphoricity of horizons* be pointing to the same
underlying notion as *fusions of horizons as  a *way* of
structuring  horizons of understanding that share family resemblances that
neither collapse into *identity* [copy or mirroring] or become so
differentiated or distanced [separated, cut] that they loose their shared
meaning.  In other words, horizons as linked or *bridged* [interrelated]
*as* metaphorically composed  structurings.

Gadamer would suggest that historicity [before-structures] are always
interrelated or bridged [fused] with future orientations
[anticipation-structures] and in THIS fusion of horizons BOTH horizons are
transformed and expanded.   From Gadamers perspective the horizon of
before-structures are not static but dynamically transformed in
the engagement with anticipation-structures as ways to orient to the future.

The question then becomes *who* or *what* is the midwife. Gadamer makes a
case for before-structures as the womb of new com-positions and communities
of belonging *as* the midwife. For Gadamer we exist within historical
understanding [which I believe is metaphorically composed AND expanded] and
grounds [metaphorically] anticipation structures.

Larry

Larry