Re: [xmca] Education: Thanks Robert Lake

Thanks Mike,
I love it when the "strange becomes familiar and the familiar becomes
strange.
RL

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason your quotation from Dewey struck me just now, Robert, often
> as I have seen it. It got me to thinking along with thinking about AERA and
> its events and face-to-face time. Nice to be able to "see it" at a
> distance, but real time IS real time.
>
> Here is the quotation:
>  *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
> midwife.*
> *-*John Dewey.
>
> We talk a lot about metaphors around xmca and the metaphor of a midwife for
> education is certainly a potent metaphor.
>
> Would we put up with the success rate for education if that
> social/institution's success rate is less than that of the midewife.
> So what kind of a midwife is education, anyway? Where does the metaphor
> lead us?
>
> If you pick up some helpful pointers in Vancouver, let us all know!
>
> :-))
> mike

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Assistant Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-5125
Fax: (912) 478-5382