Re: [xmca] Re: Reading Mike's cultural psychology

On 7 April 2012 12:36, David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Huw:
>
> I just got back from a Saturday seminar on Chapter Two of Vygotsky's
> "History of the Development of the Higher Psychological Functions". Like
> Mike's book, it's a frustrating piece of writing in some ways: Vygotsky
> tells you that he is going to produce a small working model of a higher
> psychological function, which will create the very basis for their
> experimental replication that the traditional Stimulus-Response experiment
> has failed to provide.

Hi David, the points I raised, for me, aren't indicative of a frustrating
text.  I think the text does a good job of demonstrating the kind of deeply
systemic approaches required.

> [...]
> decide which to eat first, and therefore starving to death. (This is then
> the basis for three real monographs of rudientary functions: casting lots,
> tying knots and counting on your fingers, or auguries, mnemonics and tokens
> for manipulating concepts.)
>
> Why a gedankenexperiment (actually, Buridan's donkey was really a
> rhetorical ploy by angry Aristotelians against Jean Buridan, one of the
> world's first strict behaviorsts and as such a denier of free will)? Why
> not a real experiment?
>
> Oh, Vygotsky explains that too: In a logical account, you move the main
> purpose of your object of analysis to the beginning of your account of it,
> but at the beginning of a truly developmental chronological account, that
> purpose is nowhere to be seen.
>
> Such a logical account (where the unit is analyzed first) is always
> contained in a chronological account but it is also hidden, because
> "chronos" stands in front of it and obscures it, with all the messy things
> that humans fill their time with.
>
> And of all of that is really standing in front of my real defense of the
> imaginary character. In English language teaching studies here in Korea, we
> found that contrary to the usual dogma of "real life" talk about "you and
> me", talk of imaginary characters in the classroom almost always produces
> language that is consistently more uninhibited, and linguistically more
> complex.
>
> We also found that children are much more able to reason morally and
> ethically when they are talking about hypothetical moral dilemmas then when
> they are confronted with (fabricated) "real" ones (e.g. classroom turn
> taking). And that even preschoolers are much more likely to use the ethical
> meaning of "good" when they are in the third person point of view then when
> they are exercising the second or first one.
>
> Why should this be? Oh, the linguistics of it is easy to explain: in all
> the languages I know, first and second person is more iconic, more
> indexical, more context-embedded and thus less sophisticated symbolically
> (compare "Look here!" with "I would like him to look at me.")
>
> The developmental aspect is less transparent. In language teaching we have
> committed a hundred year mistake, quite similar to (yea, predicated upon)
> the mistakes of structuralist linguistics: we have assumed that the pure
> purpose of language is social communication and that the derived purpose of
> self-communication is somehow always a derivative of this, the way written
> language is supposedly a derivative of spoken.
>
> But suppose self-communication were, developmentally, the central goal of
> language use (as it is in a Korean classroom)? Yea, suppose the child's own
> self is an imaginary character?Then, as Brecht says, the reality of the
> theatre lies precisely in its unreality, about which it behooves us to be
> perfectly and completely frank. To children one must always tell the

This refers to point 3.  So is there anything in the quality of pretending
and being frank about it, that is important here?  A simpler version,
perhaps is Bateson's animals signalling play, which he suggested is a kind
of pretend act.  But this kind of pretend act is the pretense of a real
act.  One cannot pretend about father christmas in this way to a mature
child.

Thanks,
Huw