Re: [xmca] 2nd person perspective

Rod, Martin and Monica
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on 2nd person psychology.

Rod, I also appreciate Martin's exploring Reddy's framework and also
your response focussing on attention as regulation of affect and strategies
for regulating the arousal.

I would like to back up and linger awhile on how Martin openned his
response. He helped us get our bearings by referring to Mead, Buber, and
Macmurray as sharing a certain attitude exploring 2nd person  *I-YOU*
relationships.

Reddy began her article by quoting Macmurray:

"In reflection we isolate ourselves from dynamic relations with Others; we
withdraw into ourselves, adopting the ATTITUDE of spectators, not of
participants. We are then out of touch with the world, and for touch we
must SUBSTITUTE vision.  for a REAL contact with the Other  an imagined
contact; and for REAL activity an activity of imagination." [Macmurray,
1961]

Macmurray is contrasting "touch" with "vision" and reflection as loosing
touch with the world. Touch as a phenomenological and sensorimotor
expression of the world.

It is within this enactive perspective that Rod makes the point that within
the *great we* the infant is developing *strategies* for *regulating*
arousal. As I undersand  the enactive framework the infant's strategies
are a type of *intentionality*.  Within the great-we the infant is
*managing* arousal. The term *agency* is also used to describe the
infants intentional responding to arousal existing in the great-we. This
situated agency or intentionality is experienced at the sensorimotor level
of engagement withinin the great we.

This use of the terms situated agency within particular types of
 intentionality [before the development of an *I* may be confusing but is
central to Enactive theories of conscious participation.

Martin, your point that it seems more accurate to describe the infant as
being in a 'we' relationship (first person plural) rather than an I-thou
relationship I endorse. Using the term *I* may confuse the issue. You
stated,

 LSV called infancy the time of the 'great-we,' the we before an I. He
proposed that the infant experiences communality with others before she has
consciousness of her own existence as a differentiated and separated “I.”
The “we” of infancy does not, then, include the “I” but is the basis for a
later differentiation of the “I” as part of the “we.” Infancy, wrote LSV,
is a time of mental life without a center. “He lives, but he is not
conscious of his life himself”

The point about *intentionality* and *agency* as  ACTIVE participation
existing before a time *of mental life* seems to be a key
distinction. Participatory engagement WITH mother in a *great we* is not
merely a *passive* responding to mother.

Martin you draw our attention to a transformation in the infant's life at
12 months  when you wrote,
This suggests that the triadic intentionality (joint reference) that
appears around 12 months is a differentiation of objects within the
we-relationship of infancy. This in turn implies that the more basic
intentionality that Schlicht writes about is not dyadic in the sense of
being an infant-object relationship, but is at most an infant-adult or
perhaps we-object relationship.

Rod's response pointing to a more basic intentionality is NOT an
infant-object relationship [which implies a differentiation of infant from
object] It is as you suggest an infant-adult dyadic relationship. However,
it is this form of joint attention [mom and infant engaging with objects]
which grounds the emergence of a differentiated awareness of self, other,
and object as distinct.
You  point out  that from age 12 months to 30 months there is still

an undifferentiated  immersion in the *great we* but the beginnings of
decentering and the forming of a stable 3rd person object world AND
a decentering and formation of a stable *I* as a center of
consciousness. These may be simultaneous processes and not a sequence of
one before the other as the world becomes more stable and sedimented.
As you suggest, evidence offered for this transition is the emergence
of the attachment 'bond' which

" now appears as evidence, somewhat paradoxically, for this
differentiation, which as I mentioned yesterday LSV calls a 'biological
separation.'  The toddler becomes increasingly 'willful,' directing and
controlling her agency. One sign of this is the way a toddler will choose
not to do something precisely because she is told to do it! This is the age
when parents resort to calling “goodbye!” to try to get their toddler to
follow them.

 This beginning of a decentering from the great-we and the biological
arousal of the attachment "bond" is an insight  I support.   How THIS
biological arousal is expressed culturally and historically results in
multiple contrasting ways of life and multiple psychological forms of
expressing THIS biological attachment "bond" [which emerges within the
great-we]

The final point I want to make is to return to Macmurray's key idea.

Does the  distinction between *I* and *not-I* emerging from the great-we
require *knowing* as a mental theory [Theory of Mind].  Awareness that
other people have wishes and desires different from my own?  Daniel Hutto
suggests mental theories are NOT innate structurings of mind. These
mentalized stories of our behavior are our culturally and historically
specific narrative accounts we culturally use to linguistically express and
coordinate our participation in ways of life.

Macmurray's point is to suggest these narrative expressions of our *mental
theories of mind* are actually  grounded in *touch* and sensorimotor forms
of intentionality? Is intentionality viewed as *seeing with the mind's eye*
our particular cultural myth?  Do we *own* our own minds or is this way of
composing  a way of life biasing the individual "expressive life" OF the
mind as if it is a universal way of knowing?

Monica's comment that Evan Thompson's work is helpful in closing the *gap*
between *life* and *mind* places types of intentionality at the center of
his enactive perspective.Situated agency  and intentionality  grounded in
touch and the sensorimotor. Language and concepts emerging within the
sensorimotor surround. This is the approach enactive and *generative*
phenomenology are exploring.

Larry