From: Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [xmca] Reflective Meanings
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sunday, March 18, 2012, 6:23 AM

Rod, David, Peter

The relationship between perezhivanie and reflecting on  *second hand*
experience.  How does this relationship manifest?  What  sequences  unfold
in this process.
Rod, a year ago you recommended a book by V. Reddy who was exploring the
negotiation of feelings as well as understandings within what is referred
to as primary intersubjectivity developing within  2nd person communicative
expressions.

I recently came across this 6 page summary of V. Reddy's *2nd person*
perspective on lived experience as the basic process from which emerges the
derived 3rd person perspectives which are *borrowing* the processes
previously lived through within  2nd person engagements.
The article uses charts which clearly distinguish her perspective from more
cognitively oriented accounts

>From Reddy's perspective, these borrowed 2nd person processes are
profoundly transformed within language games [Wittgenstein's term] acquired
as culturally informed skilled practices expressing the giving
of reasons.  Reddy posits the skill of offering justifications in the 3rd
person as derived from 2nd person *I-YOU* encounters previously lived
through. Derived justifications  borrow the content from 2nd person lived
through experiences and use this derived content within the activity of
giving reasons.

I also noticed she posits two *basic* movements within our emotional 2nd
person engagements: *hiding* & *revealing* our selves. As I understand
Reddy's position these basic intersubjective orientations continue to play
out  within more complex cultural-historical  informed engagements.
Reddy's 2nd person perspective offers one possible approach into the
relationship between
perhezivanie and activity.

Larry

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----